21.10.12

2am

I just don't see 2am roll around anymore.  Sure I used to, back in the day.  Nowadays, it sounds pretty awful to be out that late.  Well, Saturday night I was out almost that late.  At the hospital.  Oscar didn't sleep much (if any) Friday night, due to some congestion and constant coughing and sneezing.  He was scheduled to sleep in our room for the weekend, since The Kid was over and we weren't going to have him in there with her so he could wake her up in the middle of the night.  Like I said, Friday night was rough and Oscar and I ended up sleeping in the living room.  It was either he sleeps in our room hacking and coughing away and neither I nor The Wife gets any sleep or the alternative, one of us gets to sleep while the other attempts to make the baby sleep.  Saturday night was more of the same.  He made it about four hours into his evening slumber before he woke up coughing.  Or rather, before the coughing woke him up.  We came down to the living room and as I attempted to feed him, he starting coughing again.  The cough has been so bad that it really sounds like he's going to suffocate.  I rounded up some things, threw them in the diaper bag, told The Wife what was going on and then headed to the children's hospital that is near our house.  The sticker that I was given said 11:25pm for our check-in time.  It was actually a lot faster than I thought it was going to be, but at that time of night, things still feel like they're dragging along.  I did learn a lot about a new blender from an infomercial that was on in the room we were assigned to, but that was pretty much all that came out of our visit.  They did a chest x-ray and ruled out bronchitis and pneumonia.  The doctor said that it was most likely a viral infection and that there really wasn't anything that we could do about it other than to wait it out.  Awesome news.  Wait... no... it's terrible.  They told me that if it gets worse, bring him back and they recommended using the nose sucker bulb thing and sent us on our way.  My first reaction was, "do you really think we haven't thought of that?", but I just thanked them and walked away.

We made it home around 1:30am and by the time we were settled in our places back on the couch, it was a little after 2am.  Oscar slept until about 3:30am, woke up, drank a good sized bottle and fell back asleep immediately.  He wasn't congested or anything the rest of the night, so we were able to sleep until a few minutes after 8am this morning... it was glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment