24.7.12

First Day of Daycare = Success?


A little late on this post, but with the first day of daycare yesterday, the evening hours got away from us.


Both kids were super excited on the way to daycare Monday morning.  I explained in the car that they would get to meet all kinds of other kids and get breakfast, lunch, and a couple of snacks while they were there.  And then I told them that, after work, I would be back to pick them up.  The last thing I wanted them to feel was abandoned.  I told Leonard goodbye and he went with his new teacher to see the room and all of the things that they could do.  I went into the older kids’ room (the main area) to go through some paperwork and such.  I saw Penny off to the side already playing with a little boy.  She’s super out-going and kind; so, in my head it went something like, “Hi… my name is Penny.  Let’s play.”  I told her goodbye, she gave me a hug, and then I was off to work.


I got a phone call mid-morning saying that everything was ok and they just wanted to let us know that they were doing well.  So we established that we had chosen an awesome daycare.


I went home after work and picked up the wife, so we could go get the kids together.  When we walked in, Penny was a little teary.  It turns out that she got upset when people started showing up to get the other kids and we hadn’t come yet.  She saw us and what little tears were there, stopped instantly.  The little guy was a different story.  As I walked into the room he was in, he was sobbing… nearly hysterically.  Just because.  He had a picture that he drew in one hand and a mostly thawed icepack in the other.  I assumed that he was hurt.  Nope… he was just entertained by the icepack for whatever reason 2 year olds are entertained by anything.  Once we were there, he seemed to calm down also.  I forgot to mention that this was the first time that the two of them have been apart in his entire life.


We took them out for a celebratory (and rare) dinner at McDonald’s.  Everyone was smiles and laughs for the rest of the night.


It does seem, though, that 10 hours at daycare makes for some super talkative kids through the evening hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment