4.11.12

An Unexpected Turn

Pictures went really well yesterday.  Oscar's dad, grandma, grandpa and aunt were there.  They also brought along his grandma and grandpa's adopted twins, who are about to turn four years old... meaning Oscar has an aunt and uncle that are a little over three years older than him.  From the beginning, when we got the original call to take Oscar in July (sadly, we had to say no at the time), we were told that he was a mixed race baby... the races being caucasian and latino.  So when I got there yesterday, I was fully expecting a latino family to get out of the car.  Like... to the extent that I will randomly say things to Oscar in Spanish, just because we knew that someone in his family spoke the language.  As of yesterday, we now know that no one speaks Spanish as a first language... because they are not latino at all... they're black.  Everyone was super sweet and wanted to take their turn to hold him, even one of the twins.  His grandparents bought him some new teething chew things and a new outfit for the pictures.  They took a few pictures of everyone, some of just the kids, some of just the little kids, and then they did some all girls and all boys pictures.

Leonard and Penny were taking a nap when I left, so The Wife stayed home with them.  As Oscar and I were leaving to come back home from the pictures, I asked his grandma if she'd take a picture of Oscar and his dad, so I could show the kids and The Wife.  She took it and then sent it to me in a text message.  When I got home, I showed The Wife the picture and she thinks that Oscar looks like his dad... I don't really see it.  Then again, I'm really bad at seeing resemblances like that.  I showed the picture to the kids also and they didn't really comment other than a slight "aw" from Penny.  A few hours later, as I was getting Oscar ready for bed, Penny sat down next to me on the floor and was looking at him.  She turned to me and said, "So he's black?"... I guess it just took her that long to put it together with the picture she had seen.  Then she just said, "That's just how God made him"... oh the sweet innocence and reasoning of a four year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment